How do I become a secondary school teacher?
Before the start of this course you must have the following, BUT you do not need them before you apply to us.
- GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent) – Grade C / 4 or above
- GCSE English Language (or equivalent) – Grade C / 4 or above
- Demonstration of diagnosis against Fundamental Proficiencies for Maths and English
- Hold a degree of a UK HEI or equivalent (300 credits) – we recommend that you have transferable subject knowledge from your ALevels, Degree or subsequent career as this will support your subject knowledge. Alternatively we may ask you to complete a subject knowledge enhancement course (SKE) to satisfy the foundation point of subject pedagogy. We will look at all applications despite the level of degree classification
If you think you have or can attain the above before 1st September 2023 then follow these simple(ish) steps … if at any point you want to talk it through – then give us a call, we’ll be more than happy to help.
- Through the Postgraduate Teacher Training search engine find the course code you are looking to apply to – https://www.gov.uk/find-postgraduate-teacher-training-courses
- N32 – South Birmingham SCITT
- 19Q – Colmore Partnership Training School Alliance
- 19O – Summit Learning Trust
- 2L1 – The Magnificat Partnership
- Prepare your personal statement; we are looking for a sense of determination, drive, passion, and a willingness to learn!
- Ask two individuals to be your references; Academic Reference (eg University Tutor), previous employment, if coming from a school it must be from the Headteacher. Please ensure that they use a Professional email as we cannot accept references from friends and family.
- Register with Gov Apply and complete the online application – you can find registration and further guidance on how to do this via getintoteaching.co.uk
- Enter one of our Apply codes; remember all of our programmes are led in the same way and we use the same arrangement on placement schools.
- Proofread – and send off for your references – this will be at the submission of your application form. Please note we do not see applications until references are complete, so it is always worth politely reminding referees’ to complete their section.
- You will either be notified on Gov Apply that you have been unsuccessful OR receive a phone call and email directly from us requesting you for interview. Look out for this from Carol Lewis.
- Interview day; we’ll give you detail of this when we have arranged a date and time with you. The activities will include; formal interview, 3 minute presentation on your passion, a discussion on a pre-planned learning activity, a discussion on an educational news article, baseline subject assessment, written reflection.
- Following the day you will then be informed of our decision within 48 hours and Gov Apply will be updated accordingly.
- If you’re successful; we will keep in touch with you and begin the induction programme so you are excited and ready to get going for the course start date!!